Toorak Road shines among Australian value wines of 2018
For this year’s ‘best value’ list I have selected the highest rated wines up to AUD $15 a bottle.
I could have extended the price range to AUD $20, or AUD $25, but the number of wines would be way out of control.
You can easily search them yourself anyway, if you are a subscriber, by clicking The Real Review link here and selecting the price and style categories you are interested in.
I’ve started the list with the Blackstone Paddock Chardonnay simply because I think it’s the best value wine of the year.
However, a quick scan of the list reveals that a little-known Riverina brand, Toorak Road, has excelled this year. This is a new label minted by the Bruno family of Toorak Wines in Leeton. Robert Bruno, third generation winemaker and general manager, is a grandson of the founder, Frank Bruno senior, and has been in charge of winemaking since 1997.
He has sourced fruit from regions that suit specific varieties, such as Yarra Valley pinot noir, Tumbarumba sauvignon blanc, chardonnay and pinot noir, Gundagai cabernet and Langhorne Creek shiraz, as well as durif and other varieties from the Riverina.
Robert holds a wine science degree from Charles Sturt University and his experience includes work in France as well as the Barossa Valley, Hunter Valley, Mornington Peninsula and central Victoria. His wines across the board represent some of the best value going around.
- Blackstone Paddock Limited Release Chardonnay 2017, Margaret River AUD $15 (an Aldi brand)
- Toorak Road Sauvignon Blanc 2018, Tumbarumba AUD $15
- Yalumba The Y Series Riesling 2018, South Australia AUD $15
Other white varieties
- Berton Vineyard Winemakers Reserve Fiano 2018, Riverina AUD $14
- D’Arenberg The Hermit Crab Viognier Marsanne 2017, McLaren Vale AUD $15
- BackVintage Block 8 Shiraz 2016, McLaren Vale AUD $13
- Cookoothama Darlington Point Shiraz 2015, Riverina AUD $15
- Toorak Road Cabernet Sauvignon 2016, Gundagai AUD $15
- Kangarilla Hill Pinot Noir 2014, Adelaide Hills AUD $13
Rhône red blends
- De Bortoli Windy Peak Shiraz Grenache 2017, Heathcote AUD $14
Other red varieties
Other red blends
- Rutherglen Estates ‘Red’ Shiraz Durif 2016, Rutherglen AUD $15
- Rymill The Yearling Rosé 2018, Coonawarra AUD $15