Salomon shines at Austrian tasting
Some smashing Austrian wines were sampled at the recent reception for an Austrian business delegation in Sydney.
The popular Bertold (‘Bert’) Salomon led a tutored tasting of his company’s wines at the event, held in Sydney’s Museum of Contemporary Art.
Salomon’s own Salomon Undhof wines from the Kremstal region on the Danube River near Vienna were among the star turns of the tasting.The keynote speech was by Hungarian-born former NSW Premier Nick Greiner.
Salomon’s own Salomon Undhof wines from the Kremstal region on the Danube River near Vienna were among the star turns of the tasting. Salomon told the story of his involvement in his family’s business, his term as head of the Austrian Wine Bureau promoting the country’s wines, being the first person to import Australian wine into Austria (Penfolds in the mid-1980s), needing to take a bigger role in the family company after the premature death of his brother Eric, and finally planting a vineyard in Australia, from which he has been making wine for nearly 20 years.
We sampled several Salomon Austrian whites made from grüner veltliner and riesling, capped by the stunning 2013 Pfaffenberg Reserve Riesling. Three reds from the Salomon Estate at Finniss River on South Australia’s Fleurieu Peninsula followed. My pick of these was the elegant, spicy 2014 Salomon Estate Syrah Viognier.
There were more than 100 wines in the room to taste, and of the few I managed to get to, there were several stunners.
- 2016 Bründlmayer Terrassen Grüner Veltliner – saline, mineral, racy and delicate.
- 2016 Rosi Schuster Aus den Dorfern Cuvée Weiss– a mix of 80% grüner veltliner and 20% gemischter satz – rich, complex but understated barrel-fermented style.
- 2015 Rosi Schuster Blaufränkisch – clean, fresh, spicy, high-acid and refreshing.
- 2016 Weingut Rabl Alte Reben Schenkenbichl Riesling – spellbinding purity and intensity but, alas, not available in Australia.
- 2016 Weingut Rabl Langenlois Riesling – lemon zest and green apple, soft and fresh.
- 2016 Salomon Undhof Wachtberg Grüner Veltliner – concentrated floral honeyed intensity.
- 2015 Schloss Gobelsburg Trockenbeerenauslese Grüner Veltliner – glorious nectar-like richness and viscosity.