2017 Young Gun of Wine awards
The 2017 Young Gun of Wine award is on again, and the public is invited to take part in the annual tastings, in Sydney this Wednesday and Melbourne on June 11, to determine the public choice award.
It’s the 11th year of this competition, which is for young, emerging Australian winemakers. The event has become known as a showcase for the best up-and- coming winemakers; the place to spot new talent and trends.
According to founder Rory Kent:
“These winemakers are instigating trends. They tend to have less baggage, nor the weight of an established brand. Over the past decade, we’ve seen a tremendous increase in the colour palette of wine out there.”
An expert panel of tasters spent two days tasting the wines of the finalists and reducing a preliminary list of 50 to the final 12. All will be in attendance for Wednesday’s event.
It’s your chance to meet the winemakers, try their wines (each will show two wines on the night) and help decide who will win the Young Gun of Wine People’s Choice Award. This year the stakes are particularly high, as there are eight first-timers among the twelve finalists.
The Final Twelve
- Chris Carpenter, Lark Hill Biodynamic Wines, Canberra District
- Michael Downer, Murdoch Hill, Piccadilly Valley, Adelaide Hills
- John Hughes, Rieslingfreak, Clare Valley & Eden Valley
- Anna Hooper, Cape Jaffa, Limestone Coast & Mt Benson
- Charlotte Hardy, Charlotte Dalton Wines, Adelaide Hills
- Rob Mack, Aphelion Wine Co., McLaren Vale
- Vanessa Altmann, Switch Organic Wine, Eden Valley & Langhorne Creek
- Ricky Evans, Two Tonne Tasmania, Tamar Valley / Tasmania
- Peter Dredge, Meadowbank, Derwent Valley, Tasmania
- Stuart Proud, Proud Primary Produce, Yarra Valley
- Remi Guise, Tripe.Iscariot, Margaret River
- Andries Mostert & Yoko Luscher-Mostert, Brave New Wine, Great Southern
- Date: Wednesday 24 May, 6pm-9pm
- Venue: Prince Wine Store, 38-40 Hansard Street, Zetland
- Tickets: AUD $75, includes tasting, dinner served canapé-style, created by the team at Kepos Street Kitchen, and a Riedel gift glass.
- Bookings: Young Gun of Wine Eventbrite page