NZ earthquake damage facts
Here are some facts about the earthquake from NZ Winegrower magazine. It would appear that earlier estimates of damage were a little conservative.
- The 7.8 earthquake expelled the equivalent energy of 8 million tonnes of TNT exploding or 40 atomic bombs.
- It is estimated that just over 5 million litres of wine was lost in Marlborough, although this is just 2% of Marlborough’s total production.
- 60 million litres of tank capacity was damaged or destroyed.
- Close to 1000 tanks were damaged to some extent.
- 150 tanks were damaged irreparably.
- 80 percent of the total Marlborough’s capacity was not damaged.
- The shakes have continued – with 1785 aftershocks felt in Marlborough in the month ending January 16.
- 96 of those were between 3 and 4 on the Richter scale.
- 16 were between 4 and 5.
- Three were between 5 and 6.
- An insurance estimate puts the loss between $200 and $250 million.