Len Evans scholars announced
The 12 Len Evans scholars for 2016 have been announced. They are the lucky few who have been chosen to take part in the 16th Len Evans Tutorial, to be held in the Hunter Valley from October 31 to November 4.
Each year, the tutorial invites elite professionals in wine, viticulture, research, hospitality and sales from all over Australia to develop their wine appreciation over a week with top wine experts.
Many great, rare and old wines are opened, tasted and scrutinised in one extraordinary week when 12 mostly young(ish) leaders in their field are put to through a demanding but rewarding wine course.
The scholars are:
- Adam Clay, winemaker, Penfolds (tastings), South Australia
- Peter Dillon, senior winemaker, Handpicked Wines (tastings), Mornington Peninsula
- Peter Fraser, general manager/winemaker, Yangarra Estate (tastings), McLaren Vale
- Kate Laurie, winemaker/proprietor, Deviation Road winery (tastings), Adelaide Hills
- Stuart Hordern, senior winemaker, Brokenwood (tastings), Hunter Valley
- Luke Jolliffe, senior winemaker, Stella Bella Wines (tastings), Margaret River
- Addy Lam, head sommelier, Black By Ezard restaurant, Sydney
- Ramon Arnavas, head sommelier, Stokehouse Q restaurant, Brisbane
- Simon Black, winemaker, Montalto Vineyard & Olive Grove (tastings), Mornington Peninsula
- Penny Jones, winemaker/manager, Bay of Fires winery (tastings), Tasmania
- Paul Beaton, head sommelier, Aria restaurant, Sydney
- Wes Pearson, senior scientist, Australian Wine Research Institute, Adelaide.