NZ wine wins top red trophy at Oz show
Judge Rock 2014 Pinot Noir from Alexandra in Central Otago won “Red Wine of the Show” at the Australia and New Zealand Boutique Wine Show 2016 held in Sydney a few weeks ago. I was one of the judges and can say, with some authority, that the standard of entries was very high indeed.
The show only accepts entries from wine producers that crush less than 250 tonnes of grapes each vintage. New Zealand has a good track record with pinot noir at this wine competition. Last year a Waipara wine, Mount Brown 2013 Reserve Pinot Noir (tasting) won three trophies for Top Pinot Noir, Top Red Wine and Wine of the Show.
New Zealand also won gold medals with the following wines:
- Zephyr 2014 Riesling (tasting)
- Clearview 2015 Beachhead Chardonnay (tasting)
- Blank Canvas 2013 Grüner Veltliner (tasting)
- Alexandra Wine Company 2015 Davishon Pinot Noir (previous vintage tastings)
- Wooing Tree 2013 Pinot Noir (previous vintage tastings)