Top 25 wines of the year 2015
The top Australian wines are expensive. That’s the conclusion to draw from my top 25 new-release Australian wines of the year, as drawn from my tasting database. There are some exceptions, however: Yeringberg red at $70 ex-winery is great value when you compare it to most of the other high-scoring wines.
I am a fairly conservative scorer compared to some of my colleagues. Only four current Aussie wines scored 98 or 99. Part of the explanation is my attitude that great wines with some maturity deserve higher points than great wines which are young and newly released. I reason that older wines have proven themselves – they’ve been tested over a longer distance, to use a horse-racing analogy. This is worth something extra to me.
I’m also old-fashioned enough to believe that age adds to complexity and mellowness, and, therefore, drinking pleasure. If I score a young, new-release wine 99 or 100, what do I score it when it’s mature and showing its full potential?
- Arras 20th Anniversary E.J. Carr Late Disgorged Chardonnay Pinot Noir 1998 $350 (tasting)
- Bass Phillip Reserve Pinot Noir 2013 $550 (tasting)
- Yeringberg Cabernet blend 2013 $75 CD (tasting)
- By Farr Farrside Pinot Noir 2013 $80 (tasting)
- By Farr Viognier 2013 $61 (tasting)
- Chateau Tanunda The Everest Shiraz 2012 $195 (tasting)
- Chateau Tanunda 1858 Field Blend Grenache Mourvedre Malbec 2013 $300 (tasting)
- Chatto Huon Valley Pinot Noir 2014 $50 (tasting)
- Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier 2013 $100 (tasting)
- Clonakilla Syrah 2013 $110 (tasting)
- Crawford River Nektar Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2010 $40/375ml CD (tasting)
- Eldridge Estate Clonal Blend Pinot Noir 2013 $75 (tasting)
- Hickinbotham Clarendon Estate The Peake Cabernet Shiraz 2013 $150 (tasting)
- Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay 2011 $99 (tasting)
- Mac Forbes Woori Yallock Pinot Noir 2014 $70 (tasting)
- Marchand & Burch Porongurup Chardonnay 2014 $73 (tasting)
- Penfolds The Max Schubert Cabernet Shiraz 2012 $450 (tasting)
- Seppeltsfield 100 Year Old Para Vintage Tawny 1915 ($500/100ml – tasting)
- Stargazer Huon Valley Pinot Noir 2014 $50 (tasting)
- Tahbilk 1860 Vines Shiraz 2010 $298 (tasting)
- Tyrrell’s 4 Acres Shiraz 2014 $70 CD (tasting)
- Tyrrell’s Johnno’s Shiraz 2014 $70 CD (tasting)
- Wendouree Cabernet Malbec 2013 $55 CD (tasting)
- Wynns Coonawarra Estate John Riddoch Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 $130 (tasting)
*CD = cellar door price.