Carillion rings judges bells at Orange Wine Show
(Gary Baldwin – Chairperson, Orange Wine Show)
Carillion Wines was the big winner at the Orange Wine Show last weekend, its 2014 The Crystals Chardonnay winning best wine of show, best white wine and best chardonnay. In addition, Carillion won the judges’ encouragement award for its 2015 Rogue Series Funky Ferment Verduzzo.
Snowy-haired geologist John Davis obviously got the heads-up that Carillion (tastings), which he part-owns, had done well as he made the trip from the Hunter Valley, where he also part-owns Pepper Tree (tastings) and Briar Ridge (tastings) wineries and Tallavera Grove vineyard (tastings). Carillion is the new name for the Davis group’s Orange region wines, formerly named Jokers Peak.
The awards dinner was held at Philip Shaw winery (tastings) just outside Orange last Friday night, October 16. The Union Bank catered and excelled itself with a fine local menu, which included Mandagery Creek house-cured venison bresaola, with Jannei goat’s curd mousse served with Cowra asparagus (“from NSW’s last remaining asparagus farm”) and hazelnut crumb, and the hero dish: Nanima saltbush lamb neck served with potato gnocchi, foraged nettle puree, roast Morganics garlic gel and scapes (look it up!). A unanimous ‘Yum!’ followed its consumption, which was enhanced (at least on my table) by a glass of 2014 Angullong Shiraz.
Other trophy winners were:
- Best wine in classes 1, 2, 5 and 6: Colmar Estate Riesling 2015
- Best sauvignon blanc: Printhie Mountain Range 2015
- Best older vintage chardonnay: Patina Reserve 2013 (previous tastings)
- Best wine in classes 8, 9 and 13: Tamburlaine Reserve Merlot 2014
- Best shiraz or shiraz dominant wine: Cook’s Lot Handpicked Shiraz 2014
- Best cabernet or cabernet-dominant wine: Brangayne Cabernet Sauvignon 2013 (this was also voted best red wine of show – previous tastings)
- Best merlot: Gartelmann Joey Merlot 2014
2014 Carillion The Crystals Chardonnay is $35 and 2015 Rogue Series Funky Ferment Verduzzo is $30 on the company website, www.tallaveragrove.com.au.
Full results: www.winesoforange.com.au .