2015 Six Nations Wine Challenge winners
(Image: 2015 Six Nations Wine Challenge judges)
New Zealand was the overwhelming winner at the 2015 Six Nations Wine Challenge. And Australia was arguably the big loser.
New Zealand positively romped in – it took away the most trophies (awarded to the top-scored wine in each class) and it comprehensively won the points aggregate. Australia came second in points, so we shouldn’t feel too humiliated, but it’s hard not to when we took home just one lonely trophy. The 2009 Pirie Vintage Chardonnay Pinot Noir was voted best sparkling wine. It was a hard result for Australia, mostly because we are accustomed to doing so much better.
Congratulations and all glory to the Kiwis, but.
The awards, handed out on Wednesday evening, October 7, were as follows.
Aggregate point scores:
New Zealand 394, Australia 292, USA 261, South Africa 232, Argentina 162, Chile 148.
New Zealand (5)
- 2014 Johanneshof Gewurztraminer
- 2014 Saint Clair Pioneer Block 3 Sauvignon Blanc
- 2013 Matua Single Vineyard Merlot Malbec
- 2013 Sacred Hill Brokenstone Merlot, Malbec, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc
- 2014 Framingham Noble Riesling (tasting)
South Africa (4)
- 2014 Elzette Iona Chardonnay
- 2013 Vondeling Babiana Chenin Blanc, Grenache Blanc, Viognier, Chardonnay
- 2014 De Morgenzon Reserve Chenin Blanc
- 2012 Warwick Wine Estates Cabernet Franc
- 2013 Niven Family Wine Estates Baileyana Winery S-Bar Pinot Noir
- 2012 Reustle Prayer Rock Vineyards Masada Bloc Syrah
- 2012 Kendall-Jackson Grand Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (winery tastings)
- 2011 Concha y Toro Terrunyo Block 6 Riesling (winery tastings)
- 2013 Concha y Toro Terrunyo Lot 1 Carmenere
- 2009 Pirie Vintage Chardonnay Pinot Noir (tasting)
Otherwise, Australia’s best results included runner-up double-golds to 2009 First Creek Winemakers Reserve Semillon, 2012 Lindemans Pyrus (tasting) and 2013 Eldridge Estate Single Clone MV6 Pinot Noir (tasting); and double-golds to 2010 Howard Park Jete Vintage sparkling, 2013 Squitchy Lane Fume Blanc (tasting), 2013 Howard Park Allingham Chardonnay (tasting), 2014 Knee Deep Sauvignon Blanc Semillon (previous tastings), 2006 Audrey Wilkinson Museum Release Semillon (tasting), 2013 Bremerton Special Release Malbec (previous tastings), 2013 Bowen Estate Cabernet Sauvignon (tasting), 2014 Tscharke Matching Socks Touriga (tasting), 2012 Watershed Senses Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot (tasting), 2012 Vasse Felix Heytesbury Cabernet Sauvignon (previous tastings), 2012 Yalumba The Signature Cabernet Shiraz (tasting), and 2012 Penfolds Bin 389 Cabernet Shiraz (tasting).
Full results posted October 8 at http://boutiquewines.com.au/6-nations-wine-challenge/